Friday, August 7, 2009

Book Review: The Bride of Casa Dracula

This book is the 3rd in the series of books by Marta Acosta about a Milagro De Los Santos - a vampire book. You know I love the vampire genre. I have already read the other two books prior to this one.

"The Bride Of Casa Dracula" by Marta Acosta, copyright 2008.

I'm never quite sure why Milagro is so entranced with Dr. Oswald, but she is. I think she wants to be normal and no matter what she does, it just is not her. The cutting, the vampire council, and Ian. That's what this book is about.

Edna, her favorite foil, is off with her paramour, and Milagro is left to deal with Cornelia and Oswald. You get the feeling from the very beginning that Oswald wants Milagro to be normal as well. I honestly think that what he loves about her free spirit is what he eventually decides is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Milagro tries throughout the book to deny to herself that Ian is the best choice for her, and in the end I am still not sure I don't agree. But she gives in - to Ian - and it just seems to work. Her friend Nancy designs Oz and Milagro's wedding but alas, it is not to be.

I do wish that Milagro would not be so worried about taking a man's money - let them give it if they want I say. She has done without love for her entire life, her mother and her ethnicity against her. Perhaps she will decide she loves Ian after all. Perhaps she will become a nun - highly unlikely.

Part of Milagro's problem seems to be that she is trying to be what others want her to be, and not what her destiny is. I do hope that Ian means it when he says that is what he will give her. She deserves that much. And I hope in the next book she writes more stories and gets credit for them.

I could not put this book down, wondering what Ms. De Los Santos was going to do next. I hope you love it like I do.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good review. I'm not familiar with this series. I did read the Anne Rice ones--the Vampire Lestat (I think; it's been a few years!)

just stopping by from SITS to say Hi; hope you will do the same.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Bad Mathea! Very bad Mathea indeed! I'm trying my best to reduce my TBR pile, or at least keep it in order. Now I'm going to have to move Marta's books to the top.

I'm currently reading Half Breed by Marcia Colette, then I want to read the book that follows, Stripped. I was supposed to read something else after that, but I think I'm going to cheat and pick up Marta's books first. Milagro sounds so my kind of heroine!

Thanks for sharing this great review. And "Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest"!!!!

Marta said...

Hi, Mathea, thanks for reviewing my last book! Yes, you're so right on many point -- Milagro is trying to figure out who she is and she's willing to try to be a better person, although her own impulsive behavior gets in the way. I'm working on the fourth book in the series now, and you'll have to wait until October 2010 to find out what happens!

Mathea said...

I am soooo looking forward to reading the next book Marta! Thanks for leaving a note on my blog. Mathea