Sunday, March 8, 2009

I am inspired!


023 the art - craft divide
Originally uploaded by gingerpig2000

I have a lot of blogs that I subscribe to on Google reader, and believe it or not - I read all of them. Does that mean I go to the site? No, I read them on the reader page. Just joined another site that encourages comments, which I would say is going to be valuable. More on that later.

For now, I would like to take a moment and blog about a post from one of my favorite writers of social media information, Ari Writer, who discussed using Flickr photos that have common sharing approvals in your blog. I tend to use pictures anyway, but I have not really thought to use other people's pictures! So, I found this picture this AM, and I think it's a great thought - why is what you create not considered ART? What makes it ART versus CRAFT? I think that when you follow directions and don't color outside the lines it is a craft, but the person who created the directions and made the original composition - that is the ARTIST! So, sometimes I am an artist, especially when it comes to my shop. And sometimes I am a crafter, who follows the pattern because it's too complicated to think of my own changes - at least the first time through. I have become more of an artist as I develop this shop. Thanks for listening, and I hope you have a great Sunday.

2 comments:

Ari Herzog said...

Thanks for the comment and for sharing your inspiration. I'd like to add one item here: linking to the photo is one thing; the more important part is the attribution. If you click back to my blog, you'll see there's always a photo credit line.

If someone's sharing their photo with the world with Creative Commons, the caveat is by using the work, you need to provide attribution.

Make sense?

So Not Mom-a-licious said...

I do the same thing with my Reader! I just wish it were easier to comment directly from the Reader. Actually, there is a way but somehow the blog ahs to be a feed, blah blah blah...too technical for me.

And as luck would have it, I am stopping in to welcome you to the SITSahood! It is a great fun community and can really be helpful in so many ways. Look forward to seeing you around!